Sunday 11 September 2011

Remembering 9/11...

Ten years ago today in New York City two thousand, seven hundred and fifty three people died when terrorists flew planes into the World Trade Centre or Twin Towers as they were known.  In undoubtedly the most shocking news footage captured on camera I have ever seen we watched live as the second plane ploughed into the south tower with the north already in flames from the first plane that hit at 8.46am NY time.  Out of the 2753 who lost their lives, 343 were NYPD firefighters and 46 were twins.  There has been a lot of documentaries on TV this week on the run up to today's anniversary.  But one that caught our attention the most was 'The Twins of the Twin Towers' which aired on BBC One on Wednesday night but that you can watch again here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014gs76. Being an identical twin this take on the events of this tragic day struck such a chord with Miss R and myself.  It was such a poignant tale and a reminder of how lucky we both are to have each other and the unique bond that identical twins share. 


Our thoughts and love on this ten year anniversary are with all of the family and friends who tragically lost loved ones on this atrocious day.  RIP the innocent bystanders and heroic emergency service men and women of 9 11.  


I have been meaning to post some photos from my recent trip to NY in July since I got back.  It seems fitting to share them today.  I have always loved the iconic star spangled banner and Americana in general and they have been sources of inspiration for many artists, musicians and fashion.  I hope you enjoy the selection below.

...Bailey wears a stars and stripes bandana in remembrance...

I thought I would also share some iconic Americana inspired music videos.  Long live the American Dream. Enjoy. Remember.
'Telephone' by Lady Gaga featuring Beyonce
'Hollywood' by Marina & the Diamonds

...and to finish the classic that is Frank Sinatra's 'New York'.  When I was lucky enough to move to this amazing city back in 2006 for 6 months with work this song was the last one played at my leaving house party before it got shut down for being too noisy and the memory of it is still fresh in my mind.  I LOVED living there and would like to again some day.


Posted by: Miss J

No comments:

Post a Comment